Tuesday, October 12, 2010

"The Science of Shopping" by Malcolm Gladwell

1. In this article, Gladwell stresses the importance of paying attention to the layout of things in a store in respect to the consumer. He opens up by saying that people walk on the right side of a walkway generally because of habits formed from driving. Ergo, when a person enters a store, it is important to have things such as carts and big information on the right side. With men, things need to be much more direct. They don’t like wandering through shops like women do, so everything a man needs to buy should be in one place. For example, ties should be placed right next to the suits. Men also don’t care to look at women’s clothes, while women do enjoy perusing men’s clothes. Therefore, men’s clothing should be placed at the entrance of a store as opposed to the back. Gladwell is trying to show how stores need to be laid out in ways that almost manipulate the consumer.

2. When I go shopping, I like to be able to find what I need within the first ten minutes of entering the store. I don’t like having to walk around aimlessly looking at all the signs, and then having to guess whether or not what I need qualifies as a certain category of food. Oftentimes, if I can’t find what I need, I just forget it and leave the store. In clothing stores, I am just like what Gladwell describes. I am not the girl in that I like to create my own sense of style. I want everything that I might need to be in one area, so the suits, ties, black socks, et cetera should all be in one area. If this isn’t the case, I get slightly frustrated.

3. Retail Store Analysis Checklist – by no means is this list meant to be exhaustive

a. Are sale items and shopping carts in the front of the store and slightly to the right of when walks in?

b. Are men’s clothes in the front and women’s in the back?

c. Are all men’s clothing types grouped accordingly? For example, all types of clothing needed for a business setting should be in one area.

d. Are women’s clothing near the changing room?

e. Are the signs easy to follow?

f. Are prices of items clearly marked either on the product or on the shelves?

g. Are toys and other products little kids would want easy for them to see/touch?

No comments:

Post a Comment